Thursday, May 19, 2011

365 days later...

...and things are going great,

Right now we're driving on the turnpike but it's for a totally different reason compared to last year at this time! We are on our way to Atlantic City for a little celebratory getaway. We've got a 2 night comp at the Taj Mahal.

Emotions are very odd today. There is a mixture of sadness for Jjm's donor and his family, fright because of the unknown, excitement and also happiness. Needless to say I was a bit shaky this morning and took a Xanex. As usual, I'm thinking of what we were doing last year at this time and what the donor family was going through. 11:30ish was when I got the call from Jim to come home from work because HUP called for an offer of lungs. Finally at 6:18 I was told it was a go and refused to believe it until I had the receptionist call the nurse in the OR to confirm again. So, it was a go and then the wait began. I can say that I was not really worried that Jim wouldn't make it through surgery. I think I was actually more relieved that something would happen. Good or bad, Jim couldn't continue living the way he was.

Today we celebrate Jim's gift of life and are so very thankful for his donor and his family. May they know that even though their loved one is gone, they are still living on through Jim and he is taking great care of them! And without a doubt we thank friends, family and all of our blog readers for helping this crazy journey be a little easier. Love you all dearly!

Now, on to enjoy out mini-vacation!

6 comments:

  1. Have fun in NJ! I, too, remember the day Jim got the call. I was following your journey on Facebook. I know it's a bittersweet day. Sending lots of love to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. xoxo <3 LOTS of love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having a getaway to celebrate this milestone. I can't believe where all the months went... fall, winter, now spring.. Jim and Luke able to get out and do things they hadn't in a while. Thank God for donor families!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been a year already. Have a great time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise and Jim true to you wedding song...
    And should I fall behind
    Wait for me
    Denise thanks for waiting for my brother, may you walk hand in hand for the rest of your days.
    Enjoy the trip! Love, Mark 1 Cor 13:13

    ReplyDelete