Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Another Bump & at HUP

I got a text from Jim yesterday to come home for lunch because he was having abdominal pain and vomiting. I assumed he just wanted me to stay with him for a bit. When I got home he was bent over in pain, was vomiting and almost passed out on me a few times. I called his transplant coordinator at HUP and she said they want him admitted. Initially I was going to drive him down but since he almost passed out my brother came over to drive us down. When my brother got here we decided that, since Jim was in so much pain, we'd go to the local hospital first to stabalize him before the trip to HUP. The local hosp did labs, X-rays and an ultrasound. There was a concern that there may be a bowel obstruction or that the CMV was causing the problem. Potassium was low due to vomitting so they gave him some iv potassium. Results were negative on ultrasound except for gall stones that we knew were already there and they do not seem to be an issue. They gave him some pain meds and anti-nausea meds and finally, by 8:00 pm, we were on the way to HUP via ambulance. We got stuck in traffic and didn't get to the HUP until after 10:00.
I had plans to stay at a hotel last night but decided to just stay the night at the hosp since he seemed too uncomfortable. Slept off and on while nurses were in and out with pain meds, checking BS and taking labs periodically. This morning HUP did an ultrasound and we have not heard any results yet. Doc's have not been in yet either.
Right now Jim is sleeping comfortably. Once the docs get here I will prob check into the hotel and grab a quick shower. Then pit-stop to Starbuck's for me and another CF friend that is 2 floors above us.

3 comments:

  1. I really hope it isn't anything big. We will be praying for you guys! Keep us updated & best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH this sounds so familiar! they did a hidascan on my gallbladder and that may be my problem. I hope he's in less pain today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess. Yep, sounds like same thing you have going on. You're not alone sweetie! He is more comfortable now. Is getting a CT scan with contrast now.

    ReplyDelete