Thursday, July 15, 2010

Get Your Mask On!

It was a very bumpy ride in the ambulance for Jim but uneventful, except for the vomiting. We arrived at HUP at 1:30 am. They had a room waiting for us. Neither of us slept last night. Jim was vomiting all night and was extremely uncomfortable with the NG tube. I had a recliner and just sat there. There was nothing I could do to make him comfortable other than just be with him.

Since Jim couldn't wear a mask to protect himself because of the constant vomiting, I did make sure he was protected from any possible bug that may be lingering around the place! There were no signs on his door saying masks were necessary so I told the nurse she needs to have people put them on, and she did. I'm sure I'm not the only CF spouse out there that feels very protective in this type of an environment. Hospitals are the worst places to be when you're immuno-supressed! I heard one of the guys transporting Jim to xray ask why he had to wear a mask. The and girl standing with him said "Because his wife is making everyone wear them.". By the end of the night there was a caution sign indicating gowns, gloves and masks must be warn. Ha! Guess I told them!

The NG tube was removed this morning and that made him much more comfortable. It did help suction out anything remaining in his stomach, which decreased the amount of vomiting, in the beginning but, eventually it was just useless.

Throughout the day Jim had several enemas and suppositories to try and empty him out...lucky man. They did work a bit. I'm sure he's happy I mentioned this to the entire Internet but, it's part of our story. No sugar-coating going on here!

The doc's here also confirmed that there is no obstruction or perforation to his bowels or stomach. The current plan is to get a med from Canada called Domperidone. Domperidone helps with stomach emptying and decreases nausea and vomiting. The FDA is reviewing it but is currently restricted in the US. It is used elsewhere to treat gastroparesis. I still need to research pharmacies and prices for this. Has anyone out there tried this before? What pharmacy did you use? Any other feedback would be appreciated.

The vomiting stopped around 1:00 pm and he finally slept for a bit. The remainder of the day was uneventful.

My parents came down and dropped off some clothes and things for me to clean up a bit. I decided to stay at the Sheraton instead of the hospital so I can get some solid sleep. My niece will be coming down tomorrow to stay with me for the weekend. I'm hoping that well be out of here by then.

Thanks for the stuff mom and dad! Dave and Jan, thanks for taking care of the dogs and cat!

Quotes:
"Pushing to poop makes you puke."
"Shoving a tube up your butt makes you forget about vomiting."

2 comments:

  1. Oh James, I feel your pain! I have also heard of the domperidone from Canada and wonder how to get it?!?! I'm thinking it would help me as well as I've talked to other post-txers with gastroparesis who take it or are in the process of trying to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess,
    From what I understand, if your doc writes a script for it you just have to find a reliable pharmacy from Canada; probably easiest via the Internet.

    ReplyDelete