Monday, July 12, 2010

A Bittersweet Moment

Today Jim and I went to HUP for his final 6 minute walk test before completing his last day of PT and RT!

On today's 6 minute walk test he walked over 1300 feet with no supplemental O2 needed at ****drum roll**** 100% saturation! Quite a difference compared to the 600 feet he walked pre-transplant with 7 liters of O2 and saturation in the low 80's.

A nice big smile after hearing 100% saturation and double distance than pre-tx.
I love, love, love this picture!

After the walk test he had some PT then we went to the lung center for our visit with the nurse practitioner, Belinda. Have I said how wonderful Belinda is? She always has a smile on her face. I will never forget the first time we saw her after Jim had his tx. She smiled and said "I was pulling for you guys!" It made me wonder how many people it takes for the entire transplant process to go through.


Talking with the Respiratory therapist and a fellow CR'er that was transplanted a week after Jim. Miracles DO happen!

Working his legs.

Belinda told us that Jim's stomach looks great compared to before. She showed us the x-ray from today and compared it to last Thursday. I'm no radiologist but, WOW it really changed! That explains the reason why he was able to keep the oatmeal down the last time he had it and the chicken and noodles he had yesterday. I made some lasagna today for dinner. So far, so good...

His Lopressor was discontinued. He has to monitor his blood pressure for the next week and if it remains ok they will start to taper him off of the Norvasc. The next time Jim sees Dr. H he may tapper the Prednisone as well. His WBC is good but his ALKP was a bit high due to the gall bladder issue. It is not as high as it previously was so they are just going to watch it. She did not seem concerned at all. Belinda called later this evening and told us that his Prograf level is 6.6 so she increased it to 2.5 mgs in order to get him into the therapeutic range, between 8 to 12.

His visits to HUP will no longer be 3 times per week and all of the lab work, PT and RT will be done at home. That take a lot of stress off of Jim, my dad (who drove Jim to every visit except two) and me also. It is hard to believe that it's been just over 7 weeks! There is no way for me to properly describe the feeling I had when we walked out of the office knowing that (unless something happens) we will not be back for a month. He has his new lungs! Oh my God, how did all of this happen? How did we get through all of this? I guess the closest description is"bittersweet".

I have to say that all of this seems like a dream...an amazing dream that I really didn't think was going to happen so quickly...maybe I was just stuck in an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

So we said goodbye and thank you to Belinda for a few weeks.


4 comments:

  1. Maybe it will begin to feel real as you both begin to resume a more "normal" day to day. This is the beginning of your new "normal." Still so happy and excited for you both. I cannot believe it's been 7 weeks already. Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes, of course in a good way! I'm so happy for both of you. And I'm so happy i got to be there with both of you at the hospital and spend the nights with you nisey and be your rock :) When Belinda came in the room for the first time after transplant, the things she was saying was bringing tears to my eyes. It takes a special person to do what she does & she was great!

    I love you both so much & I'm so happy everything is going so great :) see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news, and what a smile. I don't think I've seen a smile on the blog like that since around the time of "The M."

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you see, dreams do come true. I have so enjoyed following Jim's progress through this blog and your perspective, Denise. All of It is just amazing to me. I am so happy for both of you.

    ReplyDelete