Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gastroparesis and PGD

My dad drove Jim, me and my mom to Philly for PT and a visit with the nurse transplant coordinator.

Mom and dad:

Jim did 40 minutes on the treadmill and 98% O2 saturation along with another full workout today! That would have been unheard of with the old CF windbags. They respiratory team has a goal of 45 minutes for their patients, after that they start to increase the speed. He also stepped up from 2lb weights to 3lb weights. He came out of PT exhausted and didn't have much left in him.

Break time in the Pearlman Center in between PT and the spiro

Jim had his first spiro since transplant. For those of you that are familiar with the values, here you go:
His FEV1 went up 260%!!!
Wow, simply amazing! Obviously they are pleased with this and so are we!

Sporting the OBX shirt in the doctors office. If you haven't read all of the posts, our donor was from North Carolina which is our favorite place to vacation.

We met with the nurse transplant coordinator at 12:00. She showed us Jim's most recent xray and said that the wires that were used to put his sternum back together look good and the PGD is getting better. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070301081931.htm

She also showed us how big his stomach is and said that he has severe gastroparesis. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-disorders-gastroparesis When lung transplant surgery is done there are times when the vagus nerve that helps control food from moving into the intestines, is severed causing gastroparesis. Jim's nerve was severed and this is not something that can be reconnected. In time this should get better but this is the reason for the stomach pain and nausea. His weight is down to 137.4. With the stomach problem we are finding it hard to get his weight up without him having pain or getting nauseous. We're working on finding what food his body can handle now. Scrambled eggs, applesause, mashed potatoes, pretzels, pudding, soup, yogurt and Italian ice seem to be it for now. We were told that he should stay active and eat several small meals. He is using Milk of Magnesia to get things flowing. We were told that if he is still having problems that they may end up having to do a gastric study to time how long it takes for things to go through.

Prednisone was dropped to 25mg's and when Jim returns for his bronch on 7/2 they will probably decrease the amount again. Thursday they will be checking his blood pressure and if it is ok they will be discontinue the Norvasc. Today's blood pressure was 157/91 which is still high.

"I'd rather get beat up." This was Jim's sarcastic reply when I said lets go to the Philly Zoo instead.



  1. Denise, you're doing a great job on the posts! You will have to start your own blog when Jim takes his back :) I would read it!

    I hope Jim's stomach/digestive system get working better so he can eat more! I couldn't wait to eat tons of food, but like Jim I fought nausea and unfortunately threw up most of what I ate :(

    PFT's are looking awesome! Congrats!

  2. It's great to see him wearing his wedding ring again! Do you miss having it on your necklace? ;)