Thursday, May 27, 2010

Slow and steady









I'm going to try to make this short tonight. Want to get to bed soon. Some great friends are coming up to visit at least me tomorrow since Jim is still in ICU!!!!!

Jim slept well on 50% O2 last night! Much better compared to being on 100% the last few nights.
He was sitting in a chair when I got to the hospital this morning - yippee!!!

Respiratory therapist says lungs sound better and knocked O2 to 40% this afternoon.

He had physical therapy today. And also was given regular food for lunch. Spaghetti, meatballs and green beans. The spaghetti and meatballs gave him the hiccups immediately so he just had green beans. Dinner consisted of a chicken breast rice, some cooked veggies and pudding. He tried the chicken and that didn't go too well either. Jim's favorite nurse stopped by to say hello and she grabbed an Italian ice for him which went down much better. They are trying to restrict his liquid intake so that is why I'm assuming they gave him solid food already. We spoke with another one of Jim's nurses and discussed our concerns regarding the food they gave him so tomorrow should be better. Have any of our lung transplant friends experienced this?

He only took 2 pain pills today. The pain that he is having is where 2 chest tubes used to be. The incision doesn't hurt and looks great! That is one scar that will bring up many stories in the future.

Today was Jim's best day yet!

Quote: "Be a donor, not a receiver" (Jim said this after I told him about an email a friend sent me saying he is renewing his license and will be signing up to be a donor).

TYD&DF! <3

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he's doing better. I miss you guys already and i just saw you yesterday! I wish i could be down there with you guys more. I can't wait for you to be home so I can see you all the time. Stay strong uncle jim, your a fighter and you will be running and lifting weights before you know it :)

    I love you both so much & I think about you both constantly.



    <3 Nisey's Rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you ROCK! Thank you for helping all of us! We love you more than words!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise. It's been a little while for me, but I still remember the little hurdles like getting back to eating "real food". I am remembering despite being VERY hungry, I struggled to actually eat. A few things caused it. I had lingering pain from my trachea. Another was some of the meds made me nauseous with certain food. What I did good with was fruit, peaches, pears, bananas, yogurt, cottage cheese. . etc. Heavy food was hard on the tummy. I was also on the anti-viral (I think) which made me sick, so i took an "anti-puke" pill which never really helped. I puked a lot until I got off some of the meds after the 3 month mark. I also seemed to eat small portions at a time more frequently that helped to. If I said something sounded good, bryan would try to get it to me to eat a little. That helped too! Good Luck. He's really getting close to busting out of ICU. . .I can feel it!! Hope any of that helps a little~

    Sending our Love ~ The Warrens

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sent a comment on FB to me very early this morning. He should have been sleeping, but it shows he's feeling a bit better. Can't wait to see you later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think of you both several times a day & send out positive thoughts as often as i can. i still don't have a home computer (if i know jim he'll chuckle & shake his head at this)& my work computer doesn't let me access blogs, so i only get to check this a couple times a week. it sounds like things are slowly getting better, which is great. denise thank you so much for everything you're doing for him, but defintely take some occasional "me" time, for your sake as well as his. love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food post transplant sucked. I had a very hard time eating in the hospital. I lived off of pudding and HCV carnation instant breakfast. Everything eles hurt or made me want to puke. I also got full very fast. 3 bits of solid food and I was done. I has just getting back to my normal eating habbits when I went back in to the hospital for the 3 days of IV steriods. My stomach has not been the same since. not sure what is going on.

    I am so glad to see Jim up and walking. That will help his anxiety. He will start feeling human again soon. This healing process is long. I have some really good days that I feel 110% and other days that I feel like 75% but that is way better than how I felt pre-transplant. Hopefully, Jim will get of all oxygen real soon. Thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyone know about the sodium intake post-tx for CFers? I know it's low according to the literature from the hospital, but is it for CFers, still?

    ReplyDelete