Saturday, May 29, 2010

No one said that this would be easy


One of the nurse practitioners stopped by this morning and advised us that the people from pulmonary rehab will be stopping by on Monday. Jim's meals today went kind of crappy. He still has issues with swallowing. It hurts because he has a nasty yeast infection called thrush in his mouth and throat. This occurs quite often when people are on high doses of AB's.



He was given antifungal meds. Nystatin and Diflucan, hopefully that will help him. Spicy or acidic foods are out of the question! He also has been getting very nauseous. After breakfast Jim took a little stroll down the hall. He had an anxiety attack when the nurse was trying to get him into a chair after the walk. It took about 20 minutes for him to get focused again.


Dr. Ahya, who is covering rounds for Dr H., came in today. The xray improved again but is still not perfect. Let's just hope that it gets better every day. He believes we are moving in the right direction and in a few days will have one of the remining 2 chest tube pulled. Dr. Ahya also mentioned something called gastroparesis. https://health.google.com/health/ref/Gastroparesis
If I remember correctly this is something that Dr. Ahya said is common in CF'ers.

Jim also has a painful rash where no man would want one. I'll let Jim expand on that at a later date... They gave him a prescription powder to help with that.

He had a very scary episode this evening. He lost is eyesight briefly and got extremely nauseous. I was on my way back to the room from dinner when it happened. I feel so guilty whenever I am away from his room. Now I feel even worse because I was not with him then! His mom was with him and when I got back to the room his vision was ok but he was still nauseous and scared for quite some time. No one told us this would be easy! The doctors think this is just the way his body is reacting to all of the crazy drugs they are giving to him.

After that settled down the nurse came in and did a dressing change on his PICC and chest tubes. Once she was done Dad and I said goodnight. I will not leave his room at night until I know he is completely settled, calm and he has his ear phones and iPhone in his bed so he can listen to some tunes.

On a fun note:
We had a very special visitor today! Boomer Esiason was nice enough to visit Jim! Boomer was visiting someone in the ICU area that Jim was initially in. Long story, short...its a small world! I have a great picture of he and Jim and will post is as soon as I can figure out how to. Boomer, Cheryl or Roseanne, if you are reading this I wish a quick and speedy recovery to your loved one and thank you so much for taking time to visit us!

No more exceptional quote that I can think of for today.

Thank you donor and donor family!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Denise, thanks for keeping everyone updated! I know how hard it is to adjust to all those new meds! I have gastroperisis, too, darn complications from surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there guys. They say it is always darkest before the dawn and there are a lot of people who love you who are pulling for you. Sending all our prayers for strength your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The episode he had with his vision sounds like something that happened to me a few days after my transplant. I didn't completely lose my vision but it got all blurry, I got light headed and I felt nauseas. I'm sorry that it happened to Jim because I know the feeling, know that it's scary (I was shaken for pretty much the rest of the night), and it really sucks.

    It's good to hear that he is getting better and that was so awesome of Boomer!!

    ReplyDelete